In the late 19th century, the number of Catholics in the Sydney area of Cape Breton continued to grow. In the year 1900, the Iron and Steel Company was formed with Henry Whitney as its President and things began to boom for Whitney Pier. Thousands of people from all over the world came in search of work and a new life, many of whom were Catholics. In 1901, the new Parish of Holy Redeemer was born, although yet a mission of Sacred Heart parish in Sydney. Holy Redeemer was built in a Romanesque style architecture by Ronald Gillis, architect and contractor. On January 12, 1902, Rev. Father Neil MacDonald became the first resident Pastor of Holy Redeemer parish. He had a congregation of about 2000 souls and the parish boundaries included South Bar, New Victoria, Lingan and Grand Lake. While much has changed in the Pier and the world, the Church of Holy Redeemer remains as strong as ever. Our numbers, like almost all of Cape Breton, have diminished, yet the Faith is still here. And, with God’s permission and blessing, Holy Redeemer will be here for many years to come. We invite you to join us for a weekend mass.